Evolution And Genetics Revision
– Bacteria become antibiotic resistant through mutations. So antibiotic resistance happens by accident, but the more antibiotics we use, the more mutations bacteria have and the more likely they will become resistant.
What are the uses of biotechnology and genetic engineering?
– There are many potential uses from GM crops t and selective breeding to the production of medicines and treatment of genetic disorders.
What is the difference between a DNA, genes, chromosomes and the genome?
– This is a good question as it addresses a set of terminology that people often get confused with. DNA is general name given to our genetic material. A gene is a specific section of the DNA that codes for a specific protein. – A chromosome is a collection of many genes that are joined together. All of the genes in an organism are collectively known as its genome.
What is the theory of evolution?
– The theory of evolution describes how organisms that are well adapted to their environment survive and reproduce. This process is called natural selection. The most successful adaptations alter over time as the environment changes.
What do I need to know about fossils and extinction for the AQA GCSE Biology specification?
– You need to know the definition of extinction, what classifies as a fossil and how fossils can be used to help us understand evolution.
What type of speciation do I need to know for my GCSE Combined Science exam?
– You need to know about geographical isolation leading to the formation of a new species. There are plenty of examples of exam questions from previous years where speciation has come up as a big mark question.