What you need to know
Things to remember:
- An hour has 60 minutes.
- If the minute hand is point to the 12, then the hour tells us what o’clock it is.
- Although you might be used to a digital clock on a phone or computer, analogue clocks are still used for watched and clock towers (like Big Ben).
We do have some important words to learn for when we are talking about time.
O’clock – usually only used for the hour
Noon – 12 o’clock during the day
Midnight – 12 o’clock at night
If we look at an analogue clock, we can see that it has three hands:
Hour hand – Short and thick hand, moves slowest
Minutes hand – Long hand that moves a little faster
Seconds hand – Thin and moves quickest
When the minute hand is point at the “12” and the hour hand is pointing to a number, we say it is “that number” o’clock.
Question 1: Which clock shows 11 o’clock?
The hour hand should be pointing to the 11.
The answer is Clock B.
Question 2: Which clock shows 1 o’clock?
The hour hand should be pointing to the 1.
The answer is Clock C.
KS2 SATs Flash Cards(43 Reviews) £8.99
- All of the major KS2 Maths SATs topics covered
- Practice questions and answers on every topic
- Perfect for year 6 Maths SATs
- All exam boards e.g. AQA, OCR, Edexcel, WJEC.